IP International Journal of Medical Microbiology and Tropical Diseases


Mycological profile of chronic suppurative otitis media in a tertiary care center in Rajasthan


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details: Ramesh Agrawal, Riddhi Pradhan, P.K. Khatri, Harshada Shah, Yogyata Marothi

Volume : 2

Issue : 4

Online ISSN : 2581-4761

Print ISSN : 2581-4753

Article First Page : 142

Article End Page : 144


Abstract

Introduction: Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media is a major health problem in developing countries because of poor nutrition, improper hygiene and lack of health education. Due to advent of newer and sophisticated antibiotics, the microbiological flora is changing constantly.
Aims: The present study was aimed to identify fungal isolates associated with Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media and their anti-fungal susceptibility pattern in CSOM patients. Material and Method: The study was conducted in Department of Microbiology, Dr. S. N. Medical College & associated hospital, Jodhpur Rajasthan. Two pus swabs were collected with sterile cotton swabs from CSOM patients attending ENT OPD. Isolation and identification of fungal isolates were done by standard phenotypic microbiological procedure.
Results & Observations: Out of 150 cases 91.3% was culture positive and 8.7% were culture negative. Out of total 78% patients already received antibiotic treatment while remaining 22% patients did not receive any treatment. Incidence of fungal isolates among positive culture was 10 (7.2%), Out of 10 fungal isolates 60%were identified as Aspergillus niger, 10% was Aspergillus fumigates and 30% was the Candida albicans. Candida albicans was most resistant to Fluconazole 2/3 (66.6%) followed by (33.3%) resistant to Clotrimazole, Miconazole & Voriconazole and least resistant (0%) was seen to the Ketoconazole; Nystatin & Amphotericin B.
Conclusion: Fungal agent was found the cause of CSOM in present study because prolonged use of broad spectrum antibiotics and / or steroid ear drops may cause suppression of the bacterial flora and the subsequent emergence of fungal flora.

Keywords: CSOM, Ear discharge, fungal isolates, anti-fungal sensitivity