Print ISSN:-2394-546X

Online ISSN:-2394-5478

CODEN : IJMR06

Current Issue

Year 2019

Volume: 6 , Issue: 4

Article view: 449

Article download: 185

Indian Journal of Microbiology Research


Prevalence of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase amongst clinical specimens at a tertiary care hospital, Valsad


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Drashti M Shah, Alka B. Nerurkar

Volume : 3, Issue : 3, Year : 2016

Article Page : 333-338


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Background: Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase (ESBL) are a variant of β-lactamase enzymes that open the β- lactam ring thus inactivating the antibiotic and conferring resistance.
Objective:  To determine the prevalence of ESBL producing Gram Negative Bacilli isolated from various clinical specimens and to study their antibiotic susceptibility patterns.
Methodology: A cross sectional study was carried out at the Department of Microbiology, GMERS Medical College, Valsad for a period of 2 months. The antibiotic susceptibility patterns were tested using the Kirby- Bauer disc diffusion method following CLSI guidelines.
Results: 221 specimens were examined. Out of which 39 (18%) were Gram positive isolates, 63(28%) were Gram negative isolates and the rest 119 (54%) were no growth. Out of the 63 Gram Negative, 30(48%) were ESBL positive while the rest 33 (52%) were ESBL negative.
Conclusion: Prevalence of ESBL in Gram negative bacilli was 55% and thereby it sends a signal among the medical fraternity for the rational use of antibiotics.

Keywords:
Antibiotic susceptibility testing, Bacterial resistance, Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase, Gram Negative Bacilli

How to cite : Shah D M, Nerurkar A B, Prevalence of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase amongst clinical specimens at a tertiary care hospital, Valsad. Indian J Microbiol Res 2016;3(3):333-338

Copyright © 2016 by author(s) and Indian J Microbiol Res. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) (creativecommons.org)