• Indexing List

International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research

Evaluation of anti-oxidant and oxidative stress parameters in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Full Text PDF

Author Details: Pampareddy B Kollur, Kiran Kumar Akka, Basawarajeshwari P Kollur, Sangappa Virupaxappa Kashinakunti

Volume : 5

Issue : 1

Online ISSN : 2394-6377

Print ISSN : 2394-6369

Article First Page : 12

Article End Page : 16


 Introduction: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is an important lung disorder. Tobacco smoking accounts for 80% of patients of COPD cases and the remaining 20% are due to exposure to environmental tobacco smoke, occupational dusts and chemicals, and indoor air pollution from biomass fuel used for cooking and heating in poorly ventilated buildings. The oxidative stress seen with COPD patients is due to the oxidants present in cigarette smoke and from increased amounts of reactive oxygen species released from leucocytes, from both in air spaces and blood.
Materials and Methods: This was prospective, case-control study conducted at a tertiary care teaching hospital (medicine department) from April 2015 to August 2015. After obtaining written informed consent a total of 84 participants were explained about the study. The anti-oxidant parameters i.e. Vitamin C and E, superoxide dismutase, whole blood reduced glutathione and oxidative stress markers i.e. malondialdehyde, serum nitric oxide were measured both in COPD patients and controls. The study was approved by institutional ethics committee. The results are expressed as mean and standard deviation of the parameters evaluated. The unpaired ‘t’ test wass used for comparing different biochemical parameters between cases and controls. The p value of < 0>
Results & Discussion: There was no statistically significant difference in the demographic data between the cases and controls. Maximum patients were in stage 3 COPD. Tobacco smoking is an important cause for development of COPD by formation of reactive oxygen species and other free radicals There was statistically significant difference (p<0>
Conclusion: The results of the present study indicate a disturbance in oxidant/antioxidant status in COPD patients. The periodic measurements of oxidative stress markers and antioxidant status in COPD patients might be useful in prognosis of the disease. These results may contribute for the development of novel therapeutic interventions.

Keywords: Anti-oxidant, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Free radicals, Oxidative stress.


Doi No:-10.18231/2394-6377.2018.0003