COVID-19 Update - This is to inform you that the Government of India has announced a complete lockdown in India 22nd March 2020 to 3rd May 2020. As a result, our offices will now be closed till 3rd May 2020 and all our employees will be working from home. Office telephones will not be answered, and therefore you are requested to direct all your queries related to manuscript submission, review process, publication etc. at below mentioned details.,, Mob. 8826373757, 8826859373, 9910947804

Print ISSN:-2581-5725

Online ISSN:-2456-9267


Current Issue

Year 2020

Volume: 5 , Issue: 1

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 591

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 160

IP Archives of Cytology and Histopathology Research

Diagnostic utility of cell blocks and an immunomarker panel in the cytological evaluation of serous effusions

Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Author Details : Hanan Yehia Tayel, Saba Mohamed EL-Gendi, Hanaa Ahmed Shafeik, Sarah Ahmed Hassan*

Volume : 4, Issue : 1, Year : 2019

Article Page : 47-56

Suggest article by email


Introduction: Cell blocking (CB) has gained wide acceptance as an integral diagnostic tool in cyto-diagnosis. It allows retrieval and concentration of exfoliated cells in fluid specimens to form paraffin blocks that are interpreted in a biopsy like fashion. The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic utility of CB to conventional smears (CSs) in the evaluation of serous effusions and to evaluate whether the tested immunomarker panel increases the diagnostic yield of malignancy.
Materials and Methods: Serous effusion specimens were processed using both techniques; CSs and CB. An immunomarker panel (Ber-EP4, EMA E29, D2-40 and desmin) was then applied on CB sections.
Results: CB enhanced the cellularity; it increased the diagnostic yield by 27.4% over CSs. Both nuclear and cytoplasmic details were better demonstrated in CBs. CBs were superior in the preservation of architectural patterns as acini, papillae and sheets. The diagnosis of CBs concurred with that of CSs in 79% of cases, however the diagnostic yield of malignancy increased by 9.6% using CBs. Adding the immunomarker panel totally eliminated the suspicious category and further increased the diagnostic yield for malignancy by 9.7% over CBs and by 19.3% over CSs. Furthermore, categorization of malignant cases into primary malignant mesothelioma and metastatic carcinoma was feasible after thorough interpretation of the combined immunoprofile.
Conclusion: CB represents a cost-effective adjunct to CSs in the evaluation of serous effusions. It increases the cellular yield, provides superior cytomorphology, architectural preservation, and supplies material for ancillary studies.

Keywords: Serous effusions, Cell blocks, Immunohistochemistry, Marker panel.

Doi : 10.18231/2456-9267.2019.0008

How to cite : Tayel H Y, El-gendi S M, Shafeik H A, Hassan S A, Diagnostic utility of cell blocks and an immunomarker panel in the cytological evaluation of serous effusions. IP Arch Cytol Histopathol Res 2019;4(1):47-56

Copyright © 2019 by author(s) and IP Arch Cytol Histopathol Res. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (