COVID-19 Update - This is to inform you that the Government of India has announced a complete lockdown in India 22nd March 2020 to 14th April 2020. As a result, our offices will now be closed till 14th April 2020 and all our employees will be working from home. Office telephones will not be answered, and therefore you are requested to direct all your queries related to manuscript submission, review process, publication etc. at below mentioned details. editor@innovativepublication.com, rakesh.its@gmail.com, Mob. 8826373757, 8826859373, 9910947804

Article view: 374

Article download: 152

International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research


A study of 25 hydroxy cholecalciferol levels across different seasons in first time presenting acute myocardial infarction patients from rural background


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Ranjith Kumar C, B Laxmikanth

Volume : 5, Issue : 2, Year : 2018

Article Page : 212-216


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Introduction and Objectives: The main circulating form of vitamin D in blood is 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25[OH] D) has been known to be associated with the pathogenesis of acute coronary syndromes (ACS). Deficiency of 25[OH] D has been associated with cardiovascular risk and coronary artery disease. Therefore, it is of high importance to assess for 25(OH) D deficiency in acute myocardial infarction (AMI) to initiate treatment at the earliest. The serum levels of 25(OH) D in AMI patients across different seasons are unclear.
Materials and Methods:The serum levels of 25(OH) D were assessed in 50 subjects presented with first time myocardial infarction to Cardiology departments of SVS Medical College& Hospital. Patients were enrolled throughout the year of 2017 and their serum samples were analyzed using the TOSOH AIA 360. Group 1 consisted study period from February to May. Group 2 consisted study period from June to September. From October to December including January of 2017 considered as winter, named Group 3. Based on the vitamin D status, subjects were classified as normal (? 30 ng/ml), insufficient (20-30 ng/ml) and deficient (? 20 ng/ml) groups.
Results:Of the 50 enrolled patients, 60% were 25(OH) deficient and 18% were insufficient, for a total of 78% of patients with abnormally low 25 (OH)D levels. Vitamin D levels are statistically highly significant variation across the groups. (p = 0.0000533).
Conclusions: Our results suggested that the prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency was high in AMI patients presented in winter and summer seasons as compared to that of rainy season.

Keywords: 25 hydroxy cholecalciferol, Acute myocardial infarction, Troponin – I, CK-MB, Seasonal variation

Doi : 10.18231/2394-6377.2018.0044

How to cite : Ranjith Kumar C, Laxmikanth B, A study of 25 hydroxy cholecalciferol levels across different seasons in first time presenting acute myocardial infarction patients from rural background. Int J Clin Biochem Res 2018;5(2):212-216

Copyright © 2018 by author(s) and Int J Clin Biochem Res. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) (creativecommons.org)