Article view: 618

Article download: 173

IP International Journal of Medical Paediatrics and Oncology

Do We (Healthcare Professionals) have enough knowledge regarding Cord blood banking in present scenario?

Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Author Details : Sudhanshu Kumar Das, L. Jaganmohan Rao, Monalisa Subudhi

Volume : 3, Issue : 1, Year : 2017

Article Page : 18-19

Suggest article by email


Introduction: Health care professionals (Doctors, midwives, nurses, health workers) are the key source of information about cord blood banking for parents those who interested to bank. They have an important role in providing accurate, unbiased, evidence-based information about cord blood banking. To provide accurate information, they should have evidence-based knowledge on cord blood banking. Present study is conducted to explore the knowledge about cord blood banking in healthcare professionals.
Aims & Objectives: Aim is to find the awareness among healthcare professionals about the UCBB (Umbilical Cord Blood Banking) and its benefit and affordability by its longevity or viability in recent period.
Materials & Methods: A cross-sectional study is conducted among 100 health care professionals; who attended OP clinics of ObG and pediatrics in NRI medical college and general hospital, using questionnaire with total questions of 20. Results were tabulated and analyzed by chi-square test.
Results: Among 100 health professionals, 67% were aware of UCBB and remaining (33%) were unaware, where the advertisements are being the most common source. Among 67% aware health professionals, 20% (14) people were telling expensive but affordable and 62% (41) about useful but not necessary now. Out of 33% people, 23% people were agreeing that it is very useful and 60% expensive.
Conclusion: Present study indicates more information is required to healthcare professionals with respect to knowledge, awareness, concerns in collection and storage of cord blood and to identify gaps existing, so that accurate advice to expectant parents be given to aid their decision.

: Umbilical Cord Blood Banking (UCBB), Healthcare Professionals

How to cite : Das S K, Rao L J, Subudhi M, Do We (Healthcare Professionals) have enough knowledge regarding Cord blood banking in present scenario?. IP Int J Med Paediatr Oncol 2017;3(1):18-19

Copyright © 2017 by author(s) and IP Int J Med Paediatr Oncol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) (