COVID-19 Update - This is to inform you that the Government of India has announced a complete lockdown in India 22nd March 2020 to 14th April 2020. As a result, our offices will now be closed till 14th April 2020 and all our employees will be working from home. Office telephones will not be answered, and therefore you are requested to direct all your queries related to manuscript submission, review process, publication etc. at below mentioned details. editor@innovativepublication.com, rakesh.its@gmail.com, Mob. 8826373757, 8826859373, 9910947804

Article view: 587

Article download: 375

Indian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Research


Outcome of immediate postpartum insertion of IUCD - A prospective study


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Urmila Tripathi, Durga Sahu*

Volume : 5, Issue : 4, Year : 2018

Article Page : 511-515


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Introduction: Immediate postpartum intrauterine contraceptive device insertion is an excellent family planning method which provided safe effective, long term and reversible contraception to women in the delivery setting. Hence, the present study was undertaken to assess the clinical outcome of immediate postpartum insertion of intrauterine contraceptive device in terms of safety and efficacy and to compare the two routes of insertion i.e. in vaginal deliveries and cesarean section.
Objective: 1. To study awareness level of PPIUCD among parturient. 2. To study safety and efficacy of PPIUCD insertion.
Materials and Methods: A cohort of 100 vaginal and 100 cesarean deliveries with PPIUCD insertion were studied over a period of 1 year and followed for three months in this prospective interventional study. Outcome measures of safety were perforation, irregular bleeding, unusual vaginal discharge and infection. Outcome measures of efficacy were pregnancy, expulsions, discontinuation and incidence of coiled up/ undescended strings. The data was compiled and analyzed.
Results: In the present study only 34.5% (N=69) of the study sample were aware of the PPIUCD while the rest 65.5% were unaware. No serious complications such as pregnancy or perforation were encountered in our series. Most common complication reported in both the groups was excessive bleeding PV followed by pain in lower abdomen. Spontaneous expulsion of the device was noted in 3% of vaginal insertions and none in the cesarean insertion.
Conclusion: PPIUCD is an excellent method to limit or space child births. It is offered to a woman in a setting when she is highly motivated and genuinely needs it.

Keywords: PPIUCD, Postpartum contraception, Insertion of IUCD.

Doi : 10.18231/2394-2754.2018.0115

How to cite : Tripathi U, Sahu D, Outcome of immediate postpartum insertion of IUCD - A prospective study. Indian J Obstet Gynecol Res 2018;5(4):511-515

Copyright © 2018 by author(s) and Indian J Obstet Gynecol Res. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) (creativecommons.org)