COVID-19 Update - This is to inform you that the Government of India has announced a complete lockdown in India 22nd March 2020 to 14th April 2020. As a result, our offices will now be closed till 14th April 2020 and all our employees will be working from home. Office telephones will not be answered, and therefore you are requested to direct all your queries related to manuscript submission, review process, publication etc. at below mentioned details. editor@innovativepublication.com, rakesh.its@gmail.com, Mob. 8826373757, 8826859373, 9910947804

Article view: 626

Article download: 146

Journal of Dental Specialities


Awareness towards management and prevention of dental injuries among sports instructors in Delhi, India


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Geetika Gupta, Noopur Gupta, Radhika Chopra, Vinod Sachdev

Volume : 4, Issue : 2, Year : 2016

Article Page : 135-138


Suggest article by email

Abstract

Background/Aim: The purpose of this study was to assess the level of awareness towards management and prevention of dental injuries among sports instructors in Delhi, India, by a self-administered questionnaire.
Material and Methods: A total of 100 questionnaires were distributed to sports instructors from different sports academies of Delhi, India. The questionnaire surveyed the basic details of the sports instructors, their knowledge in management of dental trauma and awareness regarding use of mouth guards to prevent dental trauma.Statistical analysis was performed using Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 16.0.
Results: 96 out of 100 teachers responded to the questionnaires, who had a mean experience of 6.9 years, out of which 23% gave training for basketball, 20.8% for cricket, 13% for tennis and rest 43.2% for other contact sports. 28% stated that they would preserve a fractured fragment or avulsed tooth, while the remaining 72% won’t. The medium which they preferred was ice (35%), handkerchief (22%), any liquid (20%), in child’s mouth (9%), cotton (8%) and in child’s hand (2%). Amongst ones who preferred other liquid as transportation medium, 57% preferred tap water, 28% fresh milk, 8% spirit while 3% normal saline. Though, 67% of these teachers were aware of the use of mouth guards, 51% of these stated that they wouldn’t advice its use.
Conclusion: Hence, the present study indicates that there is lack of awareness among the sports instructors regarding the management and prevention of dental injuries in Delhi, India.

Keywords:
Dental Trauma, Sports Instructors, Awareness, Children, Avulsion

How to cite : Gupta G, Gupta N, Chopra R, Sachdev V, Awareness towards management and prevention of dental injuries among sports instructors in Delhi, India. J Dent Spec 2016;4(2):135-138

Copyright © 2016 by author(s) and J Dent Spec. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) (creativecommons.org)