COVID-19 Update - This is to inform you that the Government of India has announced a complete lockdown in India 22nd March 2020 to 3rd May 2020. As a result, our offices will now be closed till 3rd May 2020 and all our employees will be working from home. Office telephones will not be answered, and therefore you are requested to direct all your queries related to manuscript submission, review process, publication etc. at below mentioned details. editor@innovativepublication.com, rakesh.its@gmail.com, Mob. 8826373757, 8826859373, 9910947804

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 741

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 203

Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology


Mucocutaneous Angiomyolipoma of Premaxillary region Masquerading as Lipoma: a known but rare occurrence


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Sunitha Shankaralingappa, Kataveeranahally Shekar Manjunath, Sneha Patil

Volume : 3, Issue : 2, Year : 2017

Article Page : 111-113


Suggest article by email

Abstract

Angiomyolipomas (AML) are distinctive benign mesenchymal tumors seen predominantly in the kidney. Majority (80%) of these tumors are sporadic, while remaining 20% of them are associated with tuberous sclerosis (TS). Extrarenal angiomyolipomas are extremely rare, liver being the commonest site followed by skin. Although rare, skin is the commonest reported site and literature search revealed cases of extrarenal angiomyolipomas arising at unusual locations like scrotal skin, vulva, colon and extrarenal peritoneum among others. We present a case of mucocutaneous angiomyolipoma located in left premaxillary region in a man aged 53years. Although head is the most commonly reported region for mucocutaneous AML, present case of premaxillary region angiomyolipoma presents as an intriguing mass in a region which is the best example for mucocutaneous site as the mass was located in-between skin and buccal mucosa. Lesion was excised and subsequent histopathological examination revealed the true nature of lesion. AML should be included in the differential diagnosis of premaxillary soft tissue masses.

Keywords:
Angiomyolipoma, Tuberous sclerosis, Mucocutaneous angiomyolipoma, Premaxillary region

How to cite : Shankaralingappa S, Manjunath K S, Patil S, Mucocutaneous Angiomyolipoma of Premaxillary region Masquerading as Lipoma: a known but rare occurrence. J Oral Med Oral Surg Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2017;3(2):111-113

Copyright © 2017 by author(s) and J Oral Med Oral Surg Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (creativecommons.org)