Covid Alert


Print ISSN:-2395-6186

Online ISSN:-2395-6194

CODEN : JOMOCV

Current Issue

Year 2020

Volume: 6 , Issue: 1

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 328

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 151

Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology


Mandibular angle fractures- intra oral and extra oral approaches – A comparative study


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Research Article

Author Details : Abhinandan Patel K N, Girish G*, Sneha T R

Volume : 5, Issue : 3, Year : 2019

Article Page : 68-71


Suggest article by email

Abstract

Aim: The aim of this study was to analyze outcomes of intra-oral and extra-oral approaches to mandibular angle fractures.
Materials and Methods: a retrospective study was performed of patients who underwent open reduction and internal fixation of mandibular angle fractures. Inpatient and outpatient records were reviewed for pertinent data including age, gender, presence of other fractures, surgical approach, operative time, and post-operative complications.
Results: The 40 patients with angle fracture, 60% were treated vis intra-oral approach and the rest 40% via extra-oral approach. The mean age of the patients were 30.87 years in the intra-oral group and 34.13 years in the extra-oral group. Main etiology of injury was RTA. The mean operating time for the intra-oral group was 95.63 minutes and 100.43 minutes for the extra-oral group. There was not much of difference in length of hospital stay for both the groups the mean being 2 days. Malocclusion was seen in 17.4% of extra-oral cases and 12.5% of intra-oral group. Re-surgery was performed in 12.5% of the extra-oral cases. Post-op infection was observed in 13% of intra-oral cases and 31.3% of extra-oral cases. Neurosensory disturbance occurred in 30% of extra-oral cases, and none in the intra-oral group, which is statistically significant. (p-0.017).
Conclusion: Both methods of fixation for angle fractures are useful in the treatment. On the basis of our results we recommend using intra-oral approach while clinically favorable with single miniplate along superior border.

Keywords: Mandbular angle fracture, Intraoral versus extra oral approach.

Doi : 10.18231/j.jooo.2019.017

How to cite : Abhinandan Patel K N, Girish G, Sneha T R, Mandibular angle fractures- intra oral and extra oral approaches – A comparative study. J Oral Med Oral Surg Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2019;5(3):68-71

Copyright © 2019 by author(s) and J Oral Med Oral Surg Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (creativecommons.org)